1. Take inventory of the following
- your monthly income
- your monthly debts
- your savings
2. Talk to a lender to see what you can qualify for.
A Realtor can help you to find a lender who will work with you to
- determine what you can qualify for
- and, if need be, to improve your financial profile.
3. Organize your paperwork
- Tax forms – You’ll need at least two years of tax returns.
- Asset statements
- Get copies of your most recent savings accounts, stocks, bonds, etc.
- Be prepared to provide updates to these documents closer to closing.
- Income statements
- Gift letters, if applicable
Determine Your Priorities
- Lifestyle – Amenities
- Number of bedrooms
- Number of bathrooms
- Main level bedroom & bath
- Family room
- A multi-car garage
- Back yard
- Near shopping & conveniences
- Rustic neighborhood
- Home with a view
- Good Schools
- Type of commute
- Investment: Appreciation / Future value
A Knowledgeable & Experienced Agent
- Discuss your priorities and neighborhoods that fit that profile
- Discuss market conditions.
- Discuss your timeline.
Home buyers still name agents as their greatest source of information during the home buying process. I am a motivated agent you can trust. Ask me any questions you have about current market conditions and when and what you want to buy.
- Also discuss what you’re willing to sacrifice in terms of amenities.
- Finding the right agent could make all the difference in your home buying experience.
- Purchase Contract
- Your agent will coordinate the steps and paperwork from contract to closing.
- The offer process may include addendums and counter offers until you and the seller reach an agreement on the sale price and contingencies.
Closing & Moving
- What’s your closing date?
- Can you move right in or will there be a delay between moving out and moving in?
- Research moving (and possibly storage) costs.
- Give notice to your landlord.
- Will you move yourself or hire a professional?
- Prepare for your arrival in your new place.
- Terminate and transfer your service: lights, heat, phone, cable.